Forms is a feature that lets you collect information in an easy, streamlined way. You can plan events, make a survey, conduct a poll, or create data collection forms.
The advantage this offers over an external form (like say, google forms) is that since users are already logged in to the site, they wouldn’t have to fill in redundant details such as their names, email, phone number etc. on the form. These are automatically added to the form details from their profile when they fill it.
To create a Form,
- Step 1: Go to the Forms tool through the admin panel
Pro Tip: The dashboard that appears is a list of all forms you've created earlier. The drop-down menu on the bottom left corner lets you create a duplicate of an existing form - this can be useful if you're building a new form that is similar to an existing one.
- Step 2: Click on + Add Form
- Step-3: Enter the name of the form in the field 'Title'.
Pro Tip: The field 'Notification Email' lets to specify an email address on which you will be notified each time someone fills this form.
- Step 4: Click Add another Question” to add a question to your form. More specifics about the different fields here are described below. You can continue adding questions till you are finished. Once done, click on Save
Here are the different fields that you will encounter
Label: This is the question itself
(e.g. T-Shirt size, Dietary preference, Are you bringing any guests? etc.)
Field types: This decides the kind of answer that you want to capture
There are 7 different field types you can use.
- Single Line Text - Use for short text answers, like names or a few words
- Paragraph Text - Use for longer answers, such as descriptions
- Multiple Choice - Use for radio selection options - i.e. when you want to pick one option from a choice of many. e.g (Yes, No .... Good, Average, Bad ... etc.)
- Checkboxes - Use when you want multiple checkboxes, out of which you can pick as many options as you want e.g. (Interests: Music, Dance, Art...)
- Choose from a list - Use when you want a dropdown list
- File Upload - Use when you want a file uploaded (e.g. Resume, Photograph etc.)
- Date - Use when the answer should be a date
Choices: When the field type chosen is ‘Multiple Choice‘, ‘Checkboxes‘ or ‘Choose from a list’, you will have list of options that you need to provide for a user to opt from. Enter them one by one, separated by a comma.
( e.g. option1, option2, option3 )
- Default value: With this, you can set a default value for the field. This will appear in the placeholder when you load the form, and get stored if there is no data input
- Placeholder text: Use this with the single line/paragraph text. This will appear in the placeholder when you load the form, but unlike Default value, doesn't get stored if it isn't replaced. (e.g. Type your name here, Start typing a description...)
- Help text: Use this to assist or give instructions on how you want the answer.. This text will appear just below the placeholder.
- Visible: Check this to ensure that the field appears on the form. Uncheck to hide.
- Order: This determines the ordering of the questions. Input numbers to reorder - 1 appears first, 2 after that and so on... (Alternately, use the arrows on the blue bar).
The images below might give you an idea of how this will look:
Fields setup like so the backend...
...will appear like this on the form
NOTE: To view data captured through the form, click View entries on the top right-hand side of the page. You can export all the entries from here into a spreadsheet (.xls or .csv) format using the buttons available on the bottom-right corner of the page.